There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not single use appliances – like waffle makes and bread machines – are actually worth purchasing. These gadgets are often rarely used, and take up precious storage space in the kitchen. But I say purchase that food processor! Put that grill pan on your wish list! It’s time to think out of the box and get creative when it comes to these one-trick appliances.
What if I told you, you could make cookies in your waffle maker? Or, a cheesecake in the microwave? What about a gooey, cheese dip in the toaster oven? Not only are you breathing life into stale appliances, but you’re creating some mouthwatering recipes, too.
A couple of weeks ago I pulled my Belgian waffle maker off the shelf and made some chewy, chocolate chip waffle cookies. I was amazed at how quickly the cookies “baked” in the waffle maker. Only 90 seconds! Once my batch was done, I topped the warm treats with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Perfection.
What creative ways do you use your waffle makers, bread machines, and food processors? Have any fun creative gadget tips?
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, butter, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to sugar mixture. Stir in the coconut, cashews and chocolate chips.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto a preheated waffle iron coated with cooking spray. Bake for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Here are a few more recipes you can make with your single-use appliances:
Get this recipe: Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
Get this recipe: Crispy Grilled Zucchini with Marinara
Get this recipe: Minty Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
Get this recipe: Green Chili Beef Dip